Following successful work experience placements at Renewal SA project sites Lot Fourteen and Adelaide Festival Plaza, McMahon Services and Intract Australia took the opportunity to partner with Renewal SA and the Department for Industry and Skills in early 2019 to deliver a first of its kind in South Australia – the Demolition Pre-Employment Program.
The week of the 23rd– 27th September saw the group of trainees undertake the required modules to complete their training:
- Manage demolition recyclable and waste materials using load shifting equipment
- Operate skid steer loaders at group level in demolition sites
- Operate mobile plant and suspended floors on demolition sites
- Operate excavators at ground level to demolish building elements, and
- Cut and bend materials using oxy-LPG equipment.
The training involved both theory and practical exposure, with the weather really coming out on the final two days to assist with the practical training out in the yard.
Students rotated through operating the plant and equipment, and assisting the operators as spotters, allowing the trainees to fully understand the magnitude of operating and working with heavy machinery in a high-risk area.
All trainees are set to pass their probation period on the 6th October and will undertake their final Certificate III course module (dogging) in late November.
Source: McMahon services