Volvo CE presented an immersive platform of strength and innovation alongside Volvo Penta, Volvo Trucks and Volvo Financial Services. Several products were featured that have benefits beyond jobsites as Volvo CE continues to lead the industry toward a more sustainable future. They included zero-emission electric machines, charging solutions, an articulated hauler made using fossil-free steel, technology that can improve operator efficiency, jobsite safety and reduce fuel consumption, and much more.
“Change can create challenges, but it also creates opportunities. The transition the world is undergoing has made clear the need for more sustainable solutions and strengthened our commitment to leading this transformation together with our customers and other partners.”
said Melker Jernberg, President of Volvo CE.
Change Starts Here
The Volvo CE show theme was “Change Starts Here. Be Ready for It.” and the company’s 55,000-square-foot booth provided attendees a place not just to see products but also to interact with Volvo experts and each other to discuss the changing industry and how they can be ready to take on new opportunities.
Especially popular were the two operating areas where attendees could test-drive the company’s compact electric wheel loaders and excavators.
Volvo CE also displayed its EC230 Electric excavator for the first time in North America and announced that customer pilots were starting soon in the U.S., including with Waste Management. The 22-ton battery-electric excavator is a step up in an industry where electric vehicles thus far have mostly been compact models.
Another activity hub was the company’s Solutions Hall: a two-story building that featured such services and technology as machine control systems, advanced telematics, financial solutions and jobsite connectivity tools that can take organizations to another level.
“We really want to emphasize that a great machine is not enough in today’s construction industry. It’s by pairing the right machine with the right services that customers get a comprehensive solution.”
said Stephen Roy, President, Region North America at Volvo CE.
Announcements at the show included both machines and services:
- Unveiling the EC500 excavator: the first in the company’s newest excavator series
- Opening reservations for the DD25 Electric asphalt compactor
- Adding Compact Assist Soil to the Volvo CE Intelligent Compaction system
- Launching Connected Load Out: a digital solution that simplifies the loadout process for Volvo excavators and wheel loaders
- Introducing a remote-control device to operate Volvo excavators from outside of the cab
- Helping customers see the bigger picture with the launch of the Connected Map site solution
- Launching Task Manager in North America to keep projects on track
- Unveiling a new portfolio of Volvo Service Contracts, and
- Handing over the keys of a Volvo articulated hauler made using fossil-free steel to CRH, an international manufacturer and supplier of construction materials.
In-Person and Online Acivities
With Las Vegas being an entertainment capital, Volvo CE also made sure there was plenty of fun in its booth. The electric machine operating arenas included contests for people to test their skills. TV and social media stars including the Gold Rush cast met with fans. Also in the booth were the CE Dealer Team car and drivers from the all-electric FIA World Rallycross Championship, for which Volvo CE is the Official Construction Equipment Supplier and Track Building Supplier.
Volvo CE also streamed a four-day virtual show from Las Vegas, bringing its booth to people who couldn’t make it to CONEXPO and giving those who attended in person an opportunity to see additional content.